Saturday, March 27, 2010

How old should one be to read uncensored horror?

I guess it's time to tackle this subject. Of course it would be illegal to pimp my stories out to underage kids--doing that wouldn't even cross my mind--but I think one should be twenty-one before one reads uncensored horror.

Why, do you ask?

Because I don't think a minor's mind can handle this shit. It amazes me that I can read it all the time and not go crazy (unless I'm already crazy, which is entirely possible, lol). And the Leisure Horror novels go even farther than Stephen King does. I don't want to be responsible for anyone losing their mind, having a nervous breakdown, etcetera (although abusing caffeine's probably behind the latter).

Instead of the Twilight saga, I recommend worthy horror stories without cussing and sex by authors like H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson and Algernon Blackwood. That way you're getting trained (if you're a writer) or entertained by quality shit, not douchey crap.

Just something to think about. I guess if certain parents let their kids have uncensored horror, then you got away with it, kiddo. But I don't want to be responsible for it.

A. R.

2 comments:

  1. I remember taking home what was a supposedly a children's book from the library (Whistle Down a Dark Lane)when I was twelve. In the first chapter or so, the mother was thrown down the stairs by a stranger and then gassed to death and the kids' pet rat had its eyes burned. When I took the book to the library, the librarian said that someone had taken off the jacket of the children's book and placed an adult horror novel inside. I was not ready for what I found in that book, so I agree with what you're saying. Though, I have read Lovecraft since I was around 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had the whole Stephen King collection when I was 18 (Carrie through Danse Macabre), and it really fucked with my mind. And not in a good way. I couldn't mentally handle his books till I was 21.

    ReplyDelete