Saturday, April 17, 2010

How old should one be to see a horror film?

I was thinking about my earlier post where I'd said a minor's brain isn't ready to handle uncensored horror until he or she is twenty-one, and if that would apply to movie actors and actresses such as the kids that starred in The Children. I don't think so. I mean, are you going to let him or her make the movie and then tell him or her they can't watch it? That's ludicrous! That's hypocrisy! There were some actresses in the past, like when Brooke Shields made Alice Sweet Alice, that couldn't watch it though she'd starred in it because it scared her too much. When I was 18 and my little brother was 13,I remember sneaking him into Friday the 13th 3D after I'd been severely warned not to do so, plus sneaking out of my window at 4 a.m. to go see The Boogeyman when I was 16. I watched The Amityville Horror at the theater when I was 14. Watching those films never really bothered me.

So I guess this would only apply to the written word, which is always scarier and more psychologically disturbing than the movie. I'll have to still stand firm and suggest one not read this wacky, uncensored horror shit till one is no longer a minor.

4 comments:

  1. Movie-watching is usually a shared experience, so that probably helps. Reading is solitary and the imagination, guided by the words, is free to run further and wilder with no friend to pull it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true. I didn't think of that. You're all alone when you read a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Poltergeist when I eight or nine. I didn't have nightmares, but I think that started my fear of clowns:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Do you mean It?

    ReplyDelete